Fréjus, France

Fréjus, France
Aqueduc Romain

Monday, March 2, 2009

Les Alps (UPDATED!)

UPDATE: We are home in Fréjus, so can upload lots of pictures and video. We had an absolutely fantastic week in the Alps. Sunny days skiing with Lisa
and Irie.
A day at Orcieres all by myself.
A wonderful powder day after 6- 12 inches of fresh snow. And guests, both our french friends from Fréjus, and our family from Michigan.
We also had a dreamy day running dog sleds, but I will do a separate post on that experience.

We are now in Les Alps du Sud in a small village called St. Leger-les-Mélèzes. Our chalet is perfect for us and a few guests, with wonderous views, a nice wood stove, and the ski area is literally across the street. Maggie, our snow dog couldn't be happier lounging on the snowbanks in the yard. Mélèzes is an evergreen that goes orange in the autumn and then loses its needles for the winter. I asked someone on the ski lift because they looked like dead pine trees, and I couldn’t believe their forests were mostly dead. I’m glad that isn’t true. We arrived on Saturday to a beautiful blue sky day in the mountains, but awoke to a rainy snow yesterday. I skiied anyway as that is why I’m here. It is not a big resort, but the elevations goes from 1260 meters up to 2000 meters and I spent my day up in the clouds. Today, the fog lifted so Irie and I went skiing in the afternoon. She hadn’t skiied since sometime last winter on Mt. Ashland, but like riding a bike she was confident and comfortable after the first run. I did a little video of her, but haven’t uploaded yet and since we don’t have internet at the chalet, this will have to do for now. Our friend Nathalie and her daughter Fanny arrived today, and we’ll all ski tomorrow. Weds., I am going alone to a bigger resort about 9 km away, and on Thurs. the three of us are going to have a sled-dog experience. Later that day, Lisa’s brother and family arrive here for a couple days before we all head back to Fréjus. on

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are having a great time- miss and love you!

Athena

Michelle et Abigail said...

Glad you guys are having a good time...see you soon. We're off to Saint Christol tomorrow.